Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Not quite ethnic studies, but something I needed to talk about.

Last night, I met a person who completely fills the description of uneducated about the subject of gay marriage.  He was throwing around the terms "fag" and "faggot" like they were nothing and meant nothing and weren't hurtful.  He also said that, "Gay people want to get married so they can get the money that their partner has when they die."  He said many things but that really got under my skin.  BUT, I was unable to defend myself because I didn't want to get into a fight or start any trouble.  So, I sat back and let this man talk about something he knew VERY little about and I have never in my life felt so little, low, or defenseless.  I was so afraid that something might happen that I didn't voice my own opinion to this guy and stand up for myself and what I believe in.  I feel extremely low and little right now.  

          If I ever see this man again, I will be ready with a full response to his "arguments".  1) Gay people aren't fighting for the right to get married just so they can have their partners' money when he/she dies, we are fighting for the right to marry the one we love and want to spend the rest of our lives with.  Why should ANYONE be denied that right? 2) Gay and lesbian couples make MORE money in a year on a salary based income than heterosexual couples.  Who says that allowing gays and lesbians to get married will hurt the economy? It has been PROVEN that we are just as successful when it comes to partnerships and supporting families.  3) Do you have ANY idea how you made me feel? I have NEVER in my entire life felt so speechless and defenseless about myself.  Your ignorance made me feel diminished, but I won't allow that to happen any more.  4) Go educate yourself on a topic before you start talking untruths about it.

          Regardless of the situation, if something like this happens to me again, I WILL NOT BACK DOWN OR LET MYSELF DOWN! 

1 comment:

  1. Brandon- I'm very glad to hear that you are not permitting this incident to put you n a downward spiral. In fact, you're using the opposite way--to get in touch with some righteous anger, and to prepare yourself for future confrontations! Well done.

    ReplyDelete